Report | Adaptive Spaces, Creating Resilience, Evolving Workforces, Future Cities
Singapore Market Outlook 2023
February 2, 2023
- Significant headwinds lie ahead for Singapore’s small and open economy amid a deterioration in the external economic environment. A silver lining exists however with the reopening of China’s borders and the continued recovery in international travel and tourism. GDP growth is projected to ease to 0.5% – 2.5% in 2023.
- Prime office rents are expected to continue growing in 2023, albeit at slower rate. The softer market conditions in 2023 could provide a window of opportunity for occupiers to reset and reassess their office requirements. Tenants who are inclined to reduce their office footprint can consider upgrading to smaller but better-quality offices.
- With a significant amount of hi-tech supply entering the market in 2023, it will be an opportune time for occupiers to evaluate their space requirements and secure quality and centrally-located space.
- Prime logistics supply for 2023 is still expected to be tight. Logistics occupiers with large space requirements should plan their expansion needs two years in advance or consider build-to-suit solutions.
- Retail rents in all submarkets will grow further in 2023, particularly in Orchard Road which is likely to benefit from the projected increase in tourist arrivals. Crowds have returned to office areas, which will stimulate leasing demand in CBD retail. Meanwhile, the suburban market will continue to register rental increases amid strong demand.
- Residential rents have seen a historic run-up since 2021 due to tight supply and robust demand. This unrelenting surge in rents is expected to face resistance in 2023 amid a significant increase in completions. Correspondingly, price growth which was underpinned by strong economic growth and rising rents is set to moderate due to a weaker economic outlook.
- Despite softening investor sentiments, due to its business-friendly policies and stable political backdrop, Singapore remains a top investment destination in 2023 for investors who are looking to capture the growth potential in Southeast Asia and/or diversify their portfolios.